Monday, August 16, 2010

Impulsive Expressions of Love

A few days ago my husband and I were sitting together in our house when out of the blue Mike leaned over, kissed my cheek and told me how grateful he is for me and that he thinks I am a great wife and mother. I got those typical warm tingly feelings that run through your frame when someone you love and respect gives you a compliment that you know came from the heart. I began pondering why that compliment meant so much and I realised that one reason was that it was an impulsive expression of love. I began translating that into my walk with the Lord and I began to wonder how many impulsive expressions of love I send His way. We all have our expected expressions; good-night kisses, hugs when we are hurt, greetings and good-byes. In our walk with the Lord perhaps it would be prayers before bed, daily Bible reading, going to church. I wonder though if these mean as much as a random out of the blue prayer of thanks, a choice to do what's right out of love for Him, singing God a love song. I know that God wants our regular devotion, but what about our adoring affection?

Whether we realize it or not, every decision, every action, every word is an expression of our heart. Every impulsive word or act proves where our hearts affections lie. Are our own selves the recipient of the impulsive expressions of our love? Or is it obvious that God is the object of our adoration and the one occupying the throne of our hearts? I wonder at the end of today who the composition of my heart will be praising.

1 comment: